Tuesday

Sleeping On Salt: Bolivia's Salt Hotel

Our room at the Salt Hotel
 On the third night of our Lipez-Uyuni tour we arrived at our salt hotel, an inn made primarily of salt on the edge of the Salar de Uyuni.  The hotel was basic with walls of salt, beds made of blocks of salt, tables of salt and chairs of salt.  When no one was looking, the kids and I licked the walls to verify that they were indeed made of salt. 

The lodge, the Atulcha, had basic rooms with shared bathrooms and salt tables lined up in the communal area for the set course dinner that all guests would share.

Outside, it was cold with stong winds blowing off the Salar -- a flat cold area 19 times the size of the Bonneville Salt Flats in the U.S. state of Utah -- such that we had to turn our back to the Salar and look at the run down small village that is supported by tourists staying at the salt lodge.

Dinner that night was quinoa soup, roast llama and potatoes.  We shared our meal with a retired Geman man who was riding his bike around the Salar, stopping at various salt hotels (I believe that there are 7 or 8 of them).  After dinner we took hot showers before all the lights went out at 8:00 pm.  Nestled into our fairly comfortable beds atop salt blocks, I read my book with my miner's headlamp then drifted off to sleep. 


The dining area
 

5 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I stayed here too...its so strange...especially the crystals on the floor that you walked on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a strange place. I look forward to quinoa soup and roast llama in Bolivia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so cool; similar to the ice hotels up here, only warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but imagine what it must be like living there full time - Ouch when you get salt in a cut - ouch when you rub your eyes - and probably everything tastes salty - the water - a cup of tea - a jam donut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing....

    I have read a few blogs on your website and would like to introduce alpaca-suitcase to the readers of my travel blog, which is well known, has PR 3 and hundreds of unique visitors a day. If you're interested, please contact me at rachna@dtfares.com and I'll provide you with more details.

    ReplyDelete