Thursday

Favorite Places: Val D'Orcia in Tuscany

It’s kind of unfair, really. Italy’s Tuscan countryside is beautiful enough on its own but the Tuscans have to take it a step further. Well, I’m just going to come right out and say it: they don't play fairly. It is not sufficient that the landscape is breathtaking; the Tuscan farmers take it a step further and mow their wheat fields in perfect contour-shaping lines that hug the voluptuous hills and resemble a topographical map. Sophie Redisch at the Lonely Planet-affiliated blog Sophie’s World is hosting the blogsherpa Carnival this time around and her theme is Favorite Places and mine is the Tuscan countryside, specifically the Val D’Orcia region around Pienza between Montalcino and Montepulciano. Yes, it’s my favorite place but I don’t think it’s fair.

We recently drove through the Val D’Orcia and marveled at the harmonious blend between natural beauty and man’s best efforts. The green rolling hills were so lush that the texture resembled a soft baby’s blanket, fresh out of the dryer, left to fall gently on the terrain. From that blanket a patchwork quilt is created. Start with a square of twenty-five trimmed olive trees standing in a perfect 5-by-5 formation, then a wild section of pine, chestnuts, cork oak and myrtle, and then patch in a small vinyard of grapes, the parallel lines wrapping tightly over a small hill. Everywhere you look, man has added to the natural beauty. We saw many straight gravel driveways with perfect lines of trimmed cypress trees on both sides leading to stone farmhouses with vegetable gardens of tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, basil, and sage. And wheat fields everywhere…manicured to perfection.

At the end of our day we stopped for dinner in the hilltop town of Pienza at a place called La Buca Di Enea, for which I’d read a glowing review (here). Even though we were now inside and away from the landscape, its products continued to wow us. I had the best meal since we’ve left home. I enjoyed bruschetta on Tuscan wheat toasts, a garden salad, cinghiale (wild boar pasta) with a glass of Brunello wine, every bit of it echoing the scenery we’d seen that day. Antonio, the proprietor also gave us a complimentary glass of Zibibbo, a fresh and light Sicilian dessert wine that perfectly topped off the meal.

We drove back to our Florence apartment as the sun was setting on the golden wheat fields, reflecting on a perfect day. Even though the Tuscan farmers don’t play fairly, Tuscany is still my favorite place.



7 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely and it's just my speed. I love to see man in harmony with the landscape - (makes up for the other 90% of man's efforts to turn the pkace into a garbage dump).

    I am absolutely sold on your presentation of the Val D’Orcia region around Pienza between Montalcino and Montepulciano and it is now officially on my list of places to see.

    Being in England, it doesn't seem too difficult...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,

    Glad to see you are a Carnival regular now. Make sure that you stop by La Buca Di Enea in Pienza for a delicious meal. I recommend the Wild Boar pasta, but everything we tried was excellent.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've yet to visit Tuscany, but I've a friend who has family near Montalcino... and your description of your experiences offers another reason to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kerry,

    You definitely should visit. The hills were green in May but I bet golden brown in September would be nice as well.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm planning to go to Italy sometime next year and I've been dreaming of driving through those Tuscan hills! Val D'Orcia has just been included in my must-go list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the precious information you offer on your articles. I can bookmark your weblog and have my youngsters test up right here generally. I am moderately certain they are going to be informed numerous new stuff here than any one else!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So amazing! Haven’t been to Italy yet, but I feel there’s something welcoming about Tuscany whenever I look at photos or read about it. I love Toscany! I think Italy is THE best country ever. The food, the culture, the scenery an the history. Where else do you get everything combined so nicely?

    ReplyDelete